With April 15th’s tax filing deadline come and gone, taxpayers still need to stay alert about their IRS tax relief options, what common filing mistakes to watch out for, and how to avoid tax relief scams.
Recently, Brian Compton–president of Tax Resolution Services and tax relief expert, was interviewed for the Loop21 to share some top tax help tips with taxpayers who have been busy this tax season.
Read on for expert tax help tips you should not miss:
Common Tax Filing Mistakes
- Not signing and dating your tax return. Even if you send in your tax return on time, it is not considered filed unless you sign and date your forms. If you’re filing jointly, both you and your spouse must sign the forms for it to be complete. Submitting an incomplete tax return will result in IRS penalties and interest.
- Writing in the incorrect social security number or forgetting to write your social security number. This may seem easy but it makes a big difference–double-check your data entry before you submit your forms.
- Failing to report all of your income. This is common during a tough economy where people are in-between jobs or working multiple jobs. Make sure you report everything you earned in order to avoid IRS penalties.
Common Tax Relief Scams
- Phishing (a tactic used by Internet-based thieves to steal financial informaiton, including bank accounts, etc.) reports the IRS. Remember: the only official IRS Web site is located at www.irs.gov.
- Some people are calling taxpayers to get their financial information by referring to stimulus rebates. The government will not email or call you to get this information–please do not reveal personal information over unreliable networks.
- Read more common tax scams here.
Tax Help Tips For Small Business Owners
- Taxpayers who earn more than $100,000 a year are twice as likely to get audited than taxpayers who make less–if you’re in this category, make sure you only claim legitimate expenses and deductions that you can substantiate with documents
- It’s a good idea to get expert tax help to get your taxes filed; the more complex your taxes get, the better it is to get expert tax help to avoid IRS problems
To learn more about tax help tips, read the full article.
Tax Resolution Services is a team of expert tax attorneys, CPAs, and Certified Tax Resolution Specialists. We’re here to help you with your tax problems–call our office today at 1-866-IRS-PROBLEMS for a free, no-risk tax resolution consultation or visit www.taxresolution.com.
More Tax Help, IRS News and Tax Relief Tips:
- Tax Help: Nation’s Leading Tax Relief Expert Shares Tips on How Small Businesses Can Avoid IRS Audits
- IRS Relief News: How to Determine if Bankruptcy is a Viable Tax Relief Option for Resolving IRS Back Taxes
- IRS Relief News: What Americans With Back Taxes Need to Know About Reaching Out to the IRS for Tax Help
- Tax Help Tips for Filing Tax Returns: Reduce Debt, Pay Back Taxes and Avoid IRS Problems
- Offshore Tax Evasion Defense Expert Discusses Pros and Cons of Second IRS Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Initiative
Tags: Back Taxes, brian compton, certified tax resolution specialist, common tax mistakes, Free Tax Consultation, IRS debt, IRS help, IRS penalties, tax attorney, tax expert, tax help, tax problems, tax relief, tax resolution, Tax Tips, the Loop21