The former New York State Senate majority leader pleaded guilty to filing a false and fraudulent federal tax return for the year 2005.
Pedro Espada Jr. concealed money he took from Soundview Healthcare Center, where he was CEO and president, through a janitorial company he owned. Espada also defrauded the IRS of taxes owed on income he earned from the sale of a property on Leland Avenue in the Bronx by claiming that it was his primary residence. In fact, Espada lived in Mamaroneck, in Westchester County, while renting out the Bronx property.
Espada faces up to 43 years in prison as well as forfeiture, fines and restitution of more than $2 million.
More Tax Help, IRS News and Tax Relief Tips:
- Veterinarian Pleads Guilty to Tax Evasion
- False Tax Return Filed Yields Six-Figure Refund
- Tax Evasion by Telecom Executive: Guilty!
- Tax Fraud Charges for Georgia State Representative
- False Tax Claim Gets Man 4 Years in Prison