Identity Fraud Victim Gets Expert Advice from Tax Team

In September, I wrote a blog post about how identity theft issues were adversely affecting the financial lives of everyday people we know. I used the case of Robert “Sully” Sullivan, Big Biz Show radio and TV personality and friend of Tax Resolution Services, who had just discovered he was a victim of IRS identity theft and was inquiring what to do next. Since that last meeting, I met with the Tax Team and we came up with a strategy for Sully and others who may be facing a similar IRS tax issue. (Below the video is our tax help advice designed to help Sully find tax relief and peace of mind.)

The good news in Sully’s case is that he will get his refund. Unfortunately, it will take roughly four to six months for him to receive it.  Identity theft is one of the fastest growing while collar crimes in the country. Just last year, over 500,000 people were affected by some sort of identity fraud or theft. As a result, almost $2 Billion in tax refunds were delayed by the IRS as they attempt, feebly, to stop it.

Victims of identity theft are further traumatized by being forced to spend their own time and money to protect themselves from financial upheaval and future IRS issues down the road. Here are six important action items an identity theft victim will need to address to clear their name and credit. They must:

  • Contact the IRS and let them know the situation. In Sully’s case he will have to get a new ID number to use to file his tax returns. He will also need to submit an IRS Identity Theft Affidavit, Form 14039. Taxpayer Tip: Always write down the badge and ID number of every IRS representative you speak to. That information may come in handy at a later date.
  • Get a police report from the city they reside in.  San Diego in Sully’s case. Important point: The “DR number” on the report will be instrumental in proving identity.
  • Notify the District Attorney’s Office. Also, contact the City Attorney.
  • Notify Consumer Affairs for the State of California or the State Attorney General’s office.
  • Contact the credit bureaus: TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax and ask for copies of their credit report to check for fraudulent credit use.
  • Go to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau website to register a complaint online and report the identity fraud.

We advised Sully to keep copies of all the documentation so that once his file is complete; our office will submit the full packet to the IRS. The Agency then turns it over to the criminal investigation division who opens a case in hopes of prosecuting the people responsible for the tax fraud.

Sully is lucky because the IRS is on his side, but his tax returns in the immediate future may not be the IRS relief he was hoping for. More than likely, they will take longer process as the IRS scrutinizes his returns to make sure he is who he says he is.

GREAT NEWS! Tax Resolution Services, Co. has been named a Gold WINNER from the Best in Biz Awards 2012 in Business Development Executive of the Year category. Winner details will be officially announced on Wednesday, November 14, 2012. Our fingers are crossed – stay tuned for the results!

More Tax Help, IRS News and Tax Relief Tips:

  1. Tax Resolution After Receiving IRS Audit
  2. Tax Problem – Identity Theft Case
  3. Tax Resolution Services Offers Returning Veterans Free Tax Advice
  4. The Tax Man Gives a Tour of Tax Resolution Services
  5. How to Hire the Right Tax Resolution Firm

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

Leave a Reply